Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Conceptual Framework

In working on the diagram and narrative for my conceptual framework,I began to see more clearly why a study I began thinking about as a quantitative study, needs to be a case study. A week or two ago, when I wrote my research question and subquestions, the questions could have applied to either a quantitative or qualitative study. As I reworked my diagram, I realized that the 2 cases I am studying are so individualized (two of my high-needs special ed students), that much of the meaning that could be found in studying them would be lost if I approached writing about them in an impersonal style. In order to really tell their stories, I will need to include my own views and experiences as an educator and with these particular students, in a way which is only possible through qualitative research. An indepth focus on each of my two cases will be required to seek out the what can be learned, and possibly generalized, from studying them. Much would be lost in lumping them into quantitative study groups.

Now, to start reading lots of case studies and figuring out how this is really done!

No comments:

Post a Comment