Saturday, April 9, 2011

Code Red STAT

Code RED -"stat"
Coding is no easy task. How quickly I am seeing that. Got organized, have all those wonderful folders that Dr. Turner suggested. And now, as I begin to sift through the data, (the sifting of my flour for my cookies will wait) I am realizing just how subjective coding can be and I understand the importance of trying to find the common core in the codes and what the sub-codes should be. And then, as I read student responses to questions, I realize the importance of member checking for perception. I have an idea of what some of their vague comments might mean, but is that what they really mean, or is that what my own perceptions think they mean. And when kids say that writing in school is too restrictive- what do they mean? Is it too time restricted, or topic restricted? When they say that there are too many distractions to write, do they mean kid distractions, teacher distractions, environmental distractions and how do those distractions differ? So as I try to group the categories, I see that some of them clearly overlap, but some of them may overlap only because I think they do. I also notice as I read their answers that my questions overlap- I think I could have refined my questions because several of them seem to be asking the same thing although in my mind, when I made them, I was looking for different answers. Their answers however seem to be pointing me in the direction that my perception is different, They are perceiving the two questions as the same, when I did not.

And what do I do (between you and me) with the kids who say they just do not like to write- I like to write, I want them to like to write. I feel disappointed and I wonder if I was a better teacher would they like to write or does it have nothing to do with me? I am so narcissistic.
Oh well, that will be an hour on the couch. Back to coding

No comments:

Post a Comment